Northern Lights Against Substance Abuse
Lighting the Way to Prevent Substance Abuse since 2011
The Northern Lights Against Substance Abuse unites community members in Northern Anne Arundel County to reduce alcohol and drug abuse among youth and young adults through collaborative efforts using evidence based strategies.
Youth and young adults in Northern Anne Arundel County are free from alcohol and drug abuse.
- Decrease underage drinking & Binge Drinking
- Educate parents, youth, and community members about the negative consequences of underage drinking
- Support law enforcement
- Bring prevention awareness through community events
Click here to view our 2016 Community Needs Assessment!
Northern Lights Events
The Anne Arundel County Department of Health’s Adult Addiction Program is offering FREE training to community members on the use of intranasal naloxone to reverse an opioid overdose and prevent death. Trainees will receive a free naloxone nasal kit to administer to victims of opioid overdose.
Classes are Scheduled for:
- Thursday, March 15, 2018 – 10:00 a.m. – noon
- Thursday, April 12, 2018 – 10:00 a.m. – noon
- Tuesday, May 8, 2018 – 10:00 a.m. – noon
- Thursday, June 21, 2018 – 10:00 a.m. – noon
Classes will be located at 3 Harry S. Truman Pkwy, Annapolis, Maryland 21401 (Front Entrance), 10 AM to 12 PM.
To register, call the Naloxone Training Line at 410-222-1937, Monday through Friday between 8:00 AM and 4:30 PM.
Pathways Family Wellness Workshop
The Pathways Family Wellness Workshop is a therapeutic and educational program for family members of adults or adolescents struggling with substance abuse. Through a combination of group therapy, learning sessions, and personal growth opportunities, participants will:
- Gain facts and understanding about addiction disease and substance abuse, as well as relapse prevention strategies.
- Examine stages of recovery for family members.
- Develop effective skills for communication, coping and boundary-setting.
- Participate in adventure therapy to increase self-awareness and behavioral changes that are important to the recovery process.
- Develop supportive relationships with other participating families
Breakfast & lunch are provided.
Areas We Serve
Contact Northern Lights
Local Evaluator – Christina Grey, MS
MSPF Coordinator -Pam Luby
Coalition Chair – Denise Williams
Northern Lights Against Substance Abuse Coalition is fiscally managed and staffed by Chesapeake Center for Youth Development, a local non-profit organization whose focus is improving the lives of youth.
Our Members Include
AA County Board of License Commissioners
AA County Community Action Agency
AA County Department of Health
AA County Executive’s Office of Constituent Services
AA County Partnership for Children, Youth and Families
AA County Police Department
AA County Public Schools
Anne Arundel Community College
AA County State’s Attorney’s Office
ADEPT Behavioral Treatment
Baltimore Washington Medical Center
Chesapeake Center for Youth Development
Department of Juvenile Services
Housing Commission of AA County
Light of the World Family Ministries
Maryland State Licensed Beverage Association
Maryland Transportation Safety Office
National Alcohol Enforcement Training Center
Pathways Treatment Facility
The IMPACT Society
Transforming the Community